What is the Liminal space?
The liminal space can be seen as a transformative space. It occurs when things such as our thoughts, knowledge or ideas are in some way challenged, when our understanding of something is unsettled rendering it fluid. That space of in-between is a state of liminality, a transition in the learning process, the crossing of a threshold.
As educators I think it is so important to remember the following quote:
Things to remember about the Liminal Space
- Meaningful learning can happen when we inhibit an uncomfortable space
- Learning is a process
- Building an understanding of a concept is more important that just getting an answer right
- The liminal space allows us to grow cognitively, socially and emotionally
- Each person proceeds at a different rate across the conceptual threshold
- People may exhibit varied states of liminality.